Thursday 17 March 2011

Washington DC

4 days and 3 nights in the capital of the United States of America.













For my first spring break I decided to brave it and travel alone down to DC. I had a fantastic time walking amongst great architecture, meeting fantastic new people and playing with my new camera. The majority of the time my feet were sore and my legs ached, and even at one point my nose was tinged pink with sunburn, but I proudly persevered carrying them as the battle wounds of a weary traveller. There was boundless amounts to do and see, so unsurprisingly I only managing to glimpse the surface of this magnificent city. I visited only 4 museums/art galleries but many a memorial and monument. I pounded the streets of Penn Square, Chinatown, Constitution Avenue, Georgetown and many places inbetween. I saw animals from Africa, Asia, America and Europe, I also encountered the hospitality of the South and helpfulness of policeman. Travelling alone was thoroughly enjoyable as not only did I get the freedom to dictate how and where I spent my time but also in regards to who I met. I doubt I would have had the opportunity to meet and chat to so many of the people I did if I had been in the company of others.

Somehow in four days I both recouperated energy and exhausted myself as I added to the depth of my understanding of American culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment